Thursday 16 April 2020

Ruminations of a quarantined mind

It's been a month since I've been in a country far away from my own, in a lockdown period necessitated by covid 19. A month of highs and lows, certainties and uncertainties, joys and angst. As I reflect on the workings of my mind and body this past month, a few reflections come to mind. 

1. The body is in quarantine. And it's good and necessary at this time. For the most part, I think people believe in the necessity of quarantining ourselves for our own good health. My thought : how often do we quarantine our minds? Quarantine aka 'a state of isolation'. Away from the hustle and bustle of talk, other talk and self talk. To concentrate on just being....rejuvenation.

2. Some minds tend to be in a perpetual state of anxiety. It thrives on anxiety. Feeds on worry. In the absence of anything else to do, it chews the cud. With self and with others. Paranoia in some cases. In normal course of events, life happens and much of this may be camouflaged, swept under the carpet, attention diverted. But during a forced quarantine,....true fears/emotions begin to emerge... nowhere to hide...at times. 

3. Some minds, on the other hand, prefer to play ostrich. Bury itself. Attempt any kind of diversionary tactics to avoid facing itself. Uncomfortable with reality, escapism prevails. Busy bodies and minds. If I don't acknowledge it, it doesn't exist. Bury it deep within... Not seen... Not heard... Not felt...Not acknowledged. Till, a tipping point is reached. And then boom... It may swing to the other end of the paradigm. 

4. Some minds, reach out to touch the inner being, and then quickly pull out. Like standing before a beautiful pool of water, dipping a toe in and quickly pulling out. Shallow immersions. Choosing instead to engross the mind in other 'more important - less painful' activities. 

5. Some minds on the other hand, face this isolation of the mind with equanimity. Even relish it at times. It's that time to dig deep, get past the fluff, get face to face with ourselves... and all its perfections and imperfections. To get to the hidden reserves of inner strength...communion with the deepest inner self/being... An Oasis in the dessert. (Communion - "the sharing or exchanging of intimate thoughts and feelings, especially when the exchange is on a mental or spiritual level."). Spirituality in it's deepest form. Be still and know... 

Question to each of us: do we take time off periodically to quarantine our minds? Are we comfortable facing our innermost selves? Without varnish, in it's deepest truest form? What hidden treasures do you think we might find this way? 

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Ann . A very well written piece . A lot of people have been sharing their frustrations , anger , disappointment with the lock down ,with me. At home I have been guiding my son and wife through Yoga when ever they have been ready. Yesterday my son was voicing his boredom with me. What I told him was :
    1. It's natural to feel it with the restrictions and limitations in space and time being perceived .
    2. Everything is an opportunity that the universe privides to experience and take lessons from
    3. It may sound esoteric but may be worth reflecting on
    4. Do you feel limited by the choices available to you , apart from playing video games , receiving and sending what's app messages ?
    5. What other choices could you possibly think of and indulge in ? How about:
    * Going for a brisk walk / jog in the colony wearing a mask ?
    * How about reading a few pages of a book of your choice ?
    * How about listening to TV news?
    * How about practicing your inherent talent of singing and recording and sending to your friends and relatives ?
    * How about discussing something that you have been pondering about ?
    * How about playing cards Or
    something else ?
    * How about sowing some seed in a pot , watering it and seeing it grow ?
    * How about cooking a new dish ?
    So on and so forth and the options will come up .

    Talking of my own disposition , I have been thoroughly enjoying the peace and quietude prevailing all over due to lick down . Thoroughly enjoying doing dishes , cutting vegetables , cooking , making bed et al . Thoroughly enjoying the sheer presence of my son at home ,doing yoga ,sleeping enough and more , reading .

    Some people for some strange reason have suddenly started sending me messages relating to spirituality ,leading to exchange of views and clarifications which I am thoroughly enjoying.

    Reflecting on my current state I am also realising how I am experiencing detached , thoughtless mind during meditation . My own take on it is that it has a lot to do with the Vipasana experience at Igatpuri . The texture of the palms at the beginning of the yoga practice and at the end if the sadhana is different. The palms become leathery at the end .

    I have come to believe that this is the universe's way to establish some balance in the world and get people to reflect and re- think on the ways of living .
    I feel better connected with people and the nature and I pray to the universe for happiness of all living beings . Loka Samantha Sokhino Bhavantu .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Venu. (I'm assuming it's you, despite Google tagging you as an unknown user). I'm grateful that you not only took the time to read , but also to comment.
      I agree with you that the igatpuri experience surely has enabled me deal far more effectively with solitude of this magnitude. I find comfort and also thrive in being by myself. Hoping many others do too, as mental health is likely to become a big challenge in coming months.

      Delete

3650 days on

 It's been a decade gone by, difficult to believe As I look back at memories of this time that year I find compassion for that young...